What to Do If You Lose a Loved One to A Fatal Bicycle AccidentPosted by Robert Buford | Pedestiran Accident | No Comments
Riding a bike is an environmentally friendly mode of transportation that can also help you to relax and decrease overall stress levels. Most modern cities are bicycle-friendly with special lanes for cycling to motivate residents to adopt an active lifestyle. The activity is widely popular, and many people cycle not only for recreation but also to go to work or run errands. However, cycling isn’t free of its drawbacks and bicycle accidents are fairly common and often result in fatal injuries. If you’ve lost a loved one to a fatal bicycle accident, you might have a right to pursue compensation. A competent Austin personal injury attorney can advocate on your behalf.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
In spite of taking measures to incorporate bicycle-friendly lanes, cyclists frequently find themselves sharing roads with automobiles and motorcycles. Even if you’re a skilled bicyclist with expert knowledge on traffic rules, you’ll only be safe if other road users follow the rules too.
Here are the most common causes of bicycle accidents:
- An automobile turning into a cyclist’s path
- Car drivers not seeing cyclists when making lane changes or turns
- A vehicle pulling out of a junction
- Doors of vehicles opening ahead of an oncoming bicycle rider
- Bad roads with potholes, water puddles or oil slicks may cause a bicyclist to lose balance or skid
- Reckless driving or riding
- Lack of road awareness
- A driver’s inability to judge a cyclists’ speed or distance
What to Do If You Lose a Loved One Because Of a Fatal Bicycle Accident
If a close relative has lost their life to a bicycle accident, knowing what to do next may be hard. That’s why it is advisable to get in touch with an Austin personal injury attorney, who can help to ease the burden. You should also consider the steps below:
- Report the bicycle accident to the relevant authorities and acquire a police report
- If another vehicle was involved in the bicycle accident, try to get the vehicle’s license number. You should also collect information from possible witnesses, and any other evidence you consider useful
- Acquire a medical report, so that you can initiate the claims process
- Keep all the records, including medical expenses, burial costs, and other expenditure receipts intact
Filing a compensation claim for a fatal bicycle accident can be a tough undertaking. If you want to increase your winning chances, follow the steps listed above, and then contact a reputable law firm.
Seek the Help of an Austin Personal Injury Attorney
At Robert Littlefield Buford III, Attorney at Law, our personal injury attorneys are committed to helping our clients acquire the best settlement. After losing a loved one to a fatal bicycle accident caused by negligence, you might not know what to do next. However, a competent Austin personal injury can guide you on the proper steps to take in your pursuit of justice. Losing a loved one can lead to severe emotional suffering, hefty medical bills, lost income and more.
With the help of a competent attorney, you may be able to pursue compensation for all your losses from the liable party. While money cannot bring back a loved one, it can help to reduce some of your financial burden. Call our law firm today to book a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer.