Skip to Main Content

What Happens If You Get in a Car Accident with Only a Permit? | Robert Littlefield Buford III, Attorney at Law

Posted by | October 14, 2019 | Car Accident | No Comments

You can drive around in most states with a permit. You may have lost your license and it is currently being replaced or you may be a teenager who is yet to receive their driving license. Regardless of the situation, the question is what happens if you get into a car accident with only a permit? Legal assistance is one of your priorities. A great lawyer like Robert Buford should be of great help when it comes to pleading your case. It is important for those with permits to know what to expect in court and also what to expect from the other parties involved.

Do You Need Insurance If You Use a Learner’s Permit?

Insurance requirements for learning drivers with permits only vary from state to state. Most states do not require a driver with a learner’s permit to have insurance if he/she is a minor because more often than not the driver is accompanied by an insured driver.

Therefore, if the driver with a learner’s permit is behind the wheel when the accident occurs, the driver covered by the insurance will be responsible for any damages accruing from the accident. Insurance policies typically involve the vehicle and not the driver. Therefore if the driver had a permit and the vehicle was insured, they are typically covered.

If you are a guardian or custodian of a minor with a learner’s permit, insurance companies recommend that you notify them and that the learner is driving one of your vehicles. The child can then be added to the policy, usually at a small price.

By including the minor in the policy, you will not only be protecting you and the car but the minor too in case of any serious accidents. When you add them to the policy they now become ‘named insured’.

If the driver, with the learner’s permit, is not your child and they are not listed in your insurance policy nor do they live with you, they are still covered by the policy as long as you gave them permission to use your vehicle. The driver would then be termed a ‘permissive driver’.

It is crucial to never assume that just because you have a learner’s permit or because the person driving your vehicle has a permit that they will be covered by your insurance policy. It is more prudent to contact the insurance firm first and confirm. Your insurance policy might be restricted as it pertains to covering drivers with only a learner’s permit. You should always review your policy before giving another person permission to drive your car.

What to Do If You Are in an Accident?

If you are involved in an accident when you only have a learner’s permit, the first step should be to seek medical assistance if you feel any symptoms of injury. If you are okay, you should take photos and videos as evidence to support your claim. The next step should be to contact a lawyer.

Call Robert Littlefield Buford III, Attorney at Law today if you were in a car accident while driving with a learner’s permit. He will give you the best legal advice you will get anywhere in Texas.