Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents remain a serious problem in Texas. In recent years, the number of pedestrian collisions has increased — with texting and driving likely being a major factor in this disturbing trend. If you or your loved one was struck by a vehicle, you should be ready to hire an experienced Austin pedestrian accident attorney. Your lawyer will help guide you through all aspects of the claims process ensuring that your legal rights and financial interests are protected.
Do I Need a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
Hiring an attorney is not always necessary. If you were barely hit by a vehicle and suffered no harm, an attorney may not be able to provide much value. That being said, it is always a good idea to call a pedestrian accident lawyer to set up a free claim evaluation. During this consultation, an attorney will be able to review the specific facts of your accident and estimate the value of your case. You should always hire a pedestrian accident injury attorney if:
- You suffered a serious injury;
- You were admitted to the emergency room;
- You were forced to miss any time at work; or
- You developed considerable pain and suffering after the crash.
Many people are worried about the cost of obtaining legal representation. The good news is that a top-rated Austin pedestrian accident attorney can handle your claim on contingency. There will be no upfront costs, out-of-pocket expenses, or financial risk — you can always afford to hire a pedestrian accident lawyer.
Understanding the Legal Claims Process
Pedestrian accident claims are almost always defended by large insurance companies. Insurers fight to protect their bottom line. They frequently make recovering full and fair financial compensation easy for injured victims. A pedestrian accident lawyer can help you navigate the claims process. Specifically, an attorney will:
- Conduct a free review of your personal injury claim;
- Explain your legal rights and options;
- Comprehensively investigate the pedestrian accident;
- Gather, organize, and prepare the evidence needed to prove liability;
- Review and prepare medical records to establish damages;
- Bring a pedestrian accident claim before the insurance company;
- Conduct settlement negotiations; and
- If necessary, file a personal injury lawsuit in Texas court.
The overwhelming majority of pedestrian accident claims reach a settlement prior to litigation. A study published by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) found that less than three percent of personal injury cases received a jury verdict. Of course, your pedestrian accident claim could be one of the exceptions.
Get Help From Our Austin Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
Robert Littlefield Buford III is a trial-tested Texas personal injury attorney. He has the skills and experience to handle the full range of auto accident claims, including pedestrian crashes. If you or your family member was hurt in a pedestrian collision, please contact our law firm right away for a free, no-obligation initial consultation. With a law office in Austin, we serve communities throughout the region.